This statement applies to personal information collected by the Australian Society of Anaesthetists (ASA). Personal information includes members’ details and personnel details (including financial and personal correspondence). The ASA does not collect personal information from visitors to our website.
It is the ASA’s usual practice to collect personal information directly from members. Sometimes the ASA collects personal information from a third party, for example from publicly available sources such as websites or telephone directories.
Personal information is only to be used for the purposes for which it has been given to the ASA and for related, internal management purposes.
As a member of the ASA you are responsible to protect information entrusted to you or to which you have access. This means you may not pass personal information to anyone unless one of the following applies:
- You have received consent from the supplier of the information for it to be used in the specific circumstance for which you are releasing it.
- The supplier has been advised or would expect the information to be used in the manner it is used – for example mailing lists for Anaesthesia and Intensive Care or Australian Anaesthetist.
- It is required or authorised by law.
- It will prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to somebody's life or health.
- The disclosure is reasonably necessary for law enforcement or for the protection of public revenue.